Yoga Poses for Weight Gain? Yes, you heard it right! Contrary to regular belief – there are some Yoga Poses meant to increase your metabolism rate, reduce stress, increase appetite and boost digestive tissues by an increase in blood circulation. Thus, Yoga Poses for weight gain are the perfect answer – if you are tired of being skinny and underweight!
5 Easy Yoga Poses for Weight Gain
1. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
The Cobra Pose is one of the most effective yoga pose for weight gain because it stretches your digestive system, thus, increases your appetite. It also speeds up the digestion process leading to a higher metabolism rate. While doing this Yoga Posture your torso gets stretched upwards and it improves the blood circulation aiding nutrient absorption. Thus, makes sure all the nutrients reach the required body parts.
How to Do the Cobra Pose – Steps?
- Lie flat with on your abdomen with your legs straight and feet pointing backwards (See Picture above). While you lie down place your elbows pointing backwards with palm placed flat on the Yoga mat.
- As you inhale deeply at the same time – lift your chest, placing your body weight on your entire forearms. Stay in this position for a few seconds or more as per your comfort – inhale and exhale deeply while doing so.
- Make sure you exhale as you slide back on your chest when you come out of the position.
Yoga is all about breathing – therefore please pay special attention. You may not get it right in the first instance. Do not worry! You will get the desired result only if you keep practising the pose daily.
2. Fish Pose (Matsyasana) – Easy pose to gain weight
The Fish Pose not only improves your digestion but also works wonders on the thyroid gland as you stretch your neck backwards. Firstly, it strengthens your digestive, reproductive and cardiovascular systems, removing blockages caused by toxins. Second, it regulates and balances an overactive thyroid gland. Thus, reducing the chances of losing more weight.
How to Do the Fish Pose – Steps?
- Lie on your back on the Yoga mat with your arms on your side – palms facing downwards, legs stretched out straight, with toes pointing forward.
- As you inhale, slowly lift your lower back, forming a curve in such a way that your head rests on your crown (see picture above). Feel the stretch in your lungs, shoulders and neck.
- Hold your breath and stay in this position for a few seconds. If you want to stay in this position for longer – then inhale and exhale deeply while you hold yourself in this position. Stretch your neck only as much as you comfortably can.
- As you exhale – slowly bring your back to the mat and lie flat.
3. Wind Pose or Wind Relieving Pose (Pavanamuktasana)
This particular yoga pose for weight gain is beneficial because of its posture as it massages your digestive organs. How so? As you bend your legs towards your abdomen, it applies pressure on your tummy. Thus, improving your digestive system making it more active. It also slows down an overactive metabolism that relieves any traces of bloating, indigestion and constipation. Thereby, distributing and absorbing nutrients in the body leading to weight gain eventually.
How to Do Wind Pose – Steps?
- Lie flat on your back on the floor rug or Yoga Mat. While you inhale bend your knees and bring them towards your abdomen. You can hold your folded knees with your arms almost like giving them a hug.
- Then, lift your head off the floor, and bring your nose in between your knees while holding your legs with your arms so that they don’t fall down.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds as you inhale and exhale deeply. Lastly, release the legs and arms gently on the floor mat as you exhale.
VARIATION to Wind Pose
4. Diamond Pose (Vajrasana)
This yoga pose for weight gain is highly effective and can be practised right after a meal. Since it activates the speed of your metabolism it digests meals quickly. Also, the body is able to utilize all the nutrients for the growth in muscle mass, thus, promoting weight gain.
How to Do the Diamond Pose – Steps?
- Firstly kneel down on both your knees, joining your toes. As you rest your buttocks on the gap between your heels remember to keep your back straight.
- Place your hands flat on your thighs or you can keep your hands in Gyan Mudra. Place a blanket or yoga mat under your shins if you feel any discomfort in this pose.
- When you are sitting in this yoga pose – take deep breaths in and out and hold the pose for at least 1 minute. You can go longer if you feel comfortable. For those who feel uneasy in this pose can start with 15- 30 seconds.
5. Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)
Shoulder Stand Pose might seem like a difficult pose to do but this yoga pose for weight gain leaves you feeling super energetic. This yoga posture is an inversion that improves the circulation of blood to areas that are not getting enough of it. It also clears all the blocked energy and strengthens the body and its core. Those who have hyperthyroidism benefit from this pose as the pressure of the body-weight comes on the neck. Hence, activating the gland and its juices.
This yoga pose will handle all your hunger issues (that is if you are struggling with poor appetite) and also help you master balance and stability. Try this yoga pose for weight gain by constantly practising it every day. (Not recommended for those with neck or back issues. Moreover, if you are new to this yoga pose, then practise it only under a trained yoga expert or use a wall for support).
How to Do Shoulder Stand – Steps?
- Lie down in Corpse Pose (Shavasana) on a Yoga mat with your hands under your back to support the lower back. (See Picture above). Then, as you inhale slowly lift your legs up and use your hands as support for your lower back.
- Soon after, shift all your body weight on your shoulders and lift your upper body too. Make sure you do this gradually without jerking your body upwards.
- Remember, your head and upper back are resting on the floor. Then, stay in the pose for a few seconds while you exhale and inhale.
- Slowly lower your legs and then keep supporting your back until you lower it completely as you come out of the posture.
You must know that yoga solely cannot help to gain weight. However, you must accompany it with a well-balanced and nutritious diet. Practising yoga poses for weight gain can help you achieve your weight goal in a more healthy manner and also increase muscle growth giving your body a healthy structure. Therefore, say bye to lean and lanky looks for good. Do not stuff yourself with junk food because that might help you gain weight but in the most unhealthy way possible. It will put your body systems in shock leading to more complicated health issues.
Also, these are only 5 yoga poses for weight gain but there are many more that you can practice. Start with the easy ones mentioned in the article above and then, move on to more complex yoga poses for weight gain and muscle growth.
So now, stop being conscious of how skinny you are, but instead love your body in a healthy manner and enjoy this new journey through yoga.
I hope after reading this article, you will consider yoga for weight gain and let us know your experience in the comment section below.